Earthscape playgrounds are handcrafted from the highest quality materials, meeting or exceeding safety standards and compliance regulations. Sustainable practices are integral to our mission.
Wood is genuine and organic. It feels pleasant to touch. It never gets too hot or too cold. It provides a natural connection to the earth.
We are very selective about the species of wood that we use. Different types of wood are used in different components of our playgrounds and structures depending on climatic regions. We design for a 25+ year lifespan. The wood species we use have a very high resistance to rot, insects, disease and wear and are easy to maintain.
Contact us for details about maintenance and warranty.
Wood is our primary construction material for many reasons:
Unlimited designs with maximum customization for bespoke play
Durable and long-lasting renewable material
Harmonized with natural environment and shows signs of growth and variation
Humans react positively to wood that is pleasing to the touch
Hand crafting evidence signals personalization and uniqueness
Steel core-centre, nylon covered rope is often added to our playground structures and sculptures. Ropes and nets can add play value and colour. Custom fitted rope net structures and rope arrangements give us flexibility to include challenging and dynamic elements of varying heights and distances.
Colours found in nature can also be found in our playgrounds to add interest and personality. Many of our wood playground pieces are left in their natural state as the wood does not require artificial protection, however colour can be added to provide a sense of whimsy and fun. Where desired, a water-based stain is applied in two coats to wood surfaces. Coloured ropes or nets are similarly used to compliment a story or colour scheme.
Stainless steel is a strong, elegant, high-quality material that allows us to create unique shapes, active play elements and long lasting timber connections. Steel components can include slides, turning bars, or banister rails; these elements combine beautifully with wood to increase the playability of structures.
Flex Form can be combined with ropes or used on its own to increase the diversity of play opportunities by creating additional spaces and places to climb, swing, balance, rest or hang out.
Safety & Compliance
Every Earthscape playground design is rigorously evaluated to ensure compliance to safety standards; CSA-Z614 in Canada, ASTM F1487 in the United States and EN1176 in Europe.
A combination of internal and third-party safety and accessibility consultants review each piece of custom equipment as well as the overall playground layout to remove hazards while maintaining opportunities for risk, challenge and reward.
Accessibility compliance requirements are always met and additional measures are taken to ensure inclusive play for all. Our playgrounds are designed to be fun and usable for everyone.
Sustainability matters. With our focus on children’s play spaces, we have a heightened awareness of the importance of daily practices that minimize our environmental footprint for future generations.
We are mindful to consistently strive to find ways we can work and live sustainably. Here are some of our policies and practices that demonstrate our commitment to environmental stewardship:
- Natural resource: wood is the primary material used in our playgrounds and is a renewable resource; black locust, in particular, has a very quick growth cycle.
- Minimal processing: the woods we use are not highly processed, saving energy and minimizing waste. Eventually, our woods will naturally and safely decompose.
- Sourcing: we source our timber from known suppliers and from as close as possible to our facility; much of the wood is FSC certified.
- Longevity: we design non-prescriptive wood elements with long life spans so they will last for generations.
- Repair: wood is easy to maintain and repair, reducing unnecessary waste due to replacement.
- Intelligent design: empty and underused playgrounds are wasteful where green space is at a premium; we create well-used and well-loved playgrounds that maximize urban recreation spaces.
We follow the waste hierarchy: reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Reduce energy usage: the lights in our facility are linked to a motion-sensor to ensure they are promptly turned off.
- Reduce waste: we avoid single-use products in our kitchen and we are mindful to reduce paper waste.
- Reduce travel: whenever possible we arrange virtual meetings to reduce travel and allow employees to work from home.
- Reduce materials: we operate as a lean manufacturer; everything we create is made to order so we only use the energy and materials we need.
- Reuse material: we offer our wood off-cuts for free to the public at the end of our driveway.
- Recycle waste: we send all materials that can be recycled to our recycling program.
- Recycled products: whenever possible, we purchase recycled office products.